Five filmmakers I know are unfairly ignored

but I don't remember any of their movies well enough to mount a proper defense:

John Berry gets automatic points for his work in Orson Welles and John Houseman's Mercury Theater and ROUND MIDNIGHT. I had a brief but intense John Garfield period in my mid-20s, and Berry's HE RAN ALL THE WAY is still my favorite Garfield. It takes integrity to make a movie so ferociously ambiguous. [Berry had made THE HOLLYWOOD TEN the year before, which put him in the crosshairs of the House UnAmerican Activities committee and the Communist Witchhunt of the mid-'50s.] I remember seeing CLAUDINE as a '70s-black cinemaphile kid, but being aware that a lot of it was going over my young head. Considering the DVD is barely more than five bucks, I should it pick it up.

I remember seeing a couple of Shirley Clarke's films, alongside a metric fuckload of John Cassavetes, in a little American-realist film festival. The two movies I recognize from their descriptions, PORTRAIT OF JASON and THE COOL WORLD, stood well with Cassavetes' B&W features. Remarkable that none of her films are available anywhere.

Cy Endfield is probably best known as another HUAC "witch," but I remember being impressed by his noir thrillers -- especially SOUND OF FURY, which has a lynching scene more memorable than even Lang's FURY -- and his later Africa-set adventure movies are quite smart. And he was a writer on NIGHT OF THE DEMON, which is boss.

If people recognize John Guillermin's name at all, it's for THE TOWERING INFERNO and the '70s KING KONG remake, maybe for the campy SHAFT IN AFRICA -- which is a shame, since he seems to have had a long string of solid, fascinating films in the '60s; from the brutal 1960 Peter Sellers vehicle NEVER LET GO, which I see is now out on DVD, to 1969's BRIDGE AT REMEGAN, which I remember as being quite honest while still compelling. But Guillermin's highwater mark has to be RAPTURE, although a large of part of that is due to Patricia Gozzi's haunting acting; I saw the movie on Turner Classic Movies once at least 10 years ago, and it's still with me.

I know I had a fifth filmmaker I wanted to touch on, but thinking about RAPTURE has thrown me -- so let's just park a bunch of IMDB links to movies I saw at least enough of that I would like to see them again:

The Return of Doctor X (1939), Bogie plays Karloff
The Sea Wolf (1941), a John London adaptation and a Garfield movie I missed
The Secret Fury (1950), a semi-Noir [copout happy ending] where we can see the literal moment when Robert Ryan became more attractive than fellow studio-era glamourpuss Claudette Colbert.
Prince of Pirates (1953), a fun, swashbuckler-ish yarn with cute women
Jenny (1970), yeah I don't remember why either
The Gun (1974) (TV)
, not as stiff and moralistic as the descriptions make it sound
Once (1974), it "sounds" fascinating
Tokiwa-so no seishun (1996), A.K.A. THE MANGA APARTMENT; I was sorta proud that I managed to correctly guess which one of the actors was playing Yoshiharu Tsuge despite the lack of subtitles.
Dangerous Men (2005), John S. Rad's masterwork, literally four decades in the making

Hmm, that's not as long a list as I expected either, so here are more IMDB links:

Titles with the keyword: no-dialogue

My new favorite fan-written bio: "In 1923, Carl Lemmale, head of the new Universal Pictures in Hollywood, made the silent film version of The Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney in the lead. [Gaston] Leroux was impressed by this, but two years later he died."

This GODS AND MONSTERS message-board thread is onion-like in its layers on layers of irony, stupidity and funny.